DISABILITY INSURANCE PROGRAM
Recent Disability Insurance Program Changes
- On May 16, 2014 and pursuant to state law, the State Employee Benefits Committee (SEBC) voted to amend the rules and regulations for the general administration of the Disability Insurance Program (DIP). The revisions to the DIP Rules and Regulations are effective July 1, 2014 and clarify provisions of the program.
- The Hartford's Website
Note: STD and LTD beneficiaries are provided with a personal and confidential User ID and Password for claim tracking purposes.
Short Term Disability (STD) Claim Filing Instructions
- Please call The Hartford's toll-free telephone number of (866) 945-7781 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, to file your STD claim.
- You may also file your STD claim online at The Hartford's website. Under the "Access your Account" section, click on "Start a Claim", then click "Start a Short-Term Disability Claim". You must type in the State of Delaware’s policy number of 071675 to continue your online submission. Within 24 business hours, a Hartford representative will return your call to review your online claim submission.
Be prepared to provide the following information to the Hartford:
- Name and Employee ID number
- Name of agency or school district and the last day of active employment
- Name and phone number of Manager or Benefit Representative
- Nature of claim and whether it is work related
- Treating physician’s name, address and telephone number
- Confirmation of whether you are also employed by the University of Delaware or Delaware Solid Waste Authority in a pension eligible position
Remember to contact your physician to authorize the release of medical information required by The Hartford to process your claim.
Documents, Forms and Employee Checklist
- Short-Term Disability (STD) Appeals Process
- Short Term Disability (STD) Booklet – Effective September 1, 2012
- Enhanced Short Term Disability Claim Path Process
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Booklet – Effective January 1, 2009
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Wallet Card Brochure
- Disability Insurance Program Highlights Summary
- Process Flow Tips - Merit Employee on Extended Leave
- DIP Employee Checklist
- Activity Log
Return To Work (RTW)
- Return To Work Guidelines
- The Hartford's Return to Work Approach
- RTW During Short Term Disability*
- RTW During Long Term Disability
- Delaware Assistive Technology Initiative
- Practical Tips
*As Return To Work assistance is compulsory per 29 Del. C. §5257 of the Delaware Code, employees enrolled in the Disability Insurance Program (DIP) who expect to be out of work for less than 30 calendar days continue to be eligible to utilize the services of the Return to Work Coordinator from the Statewide Benefits Office. Return to work assistance may be requested by the employee and/or by the employing organization. The Return to Work Coordinator will always consult with the employee and the employing organization when assisting employees. The Return to Work Coordinator may also consult with the employee’s health care provider(s) to acquire and/or clarify an employee’s restrictions and/or limitations if applicable, to facilitate a safe return to the workplace.